Sunday 17 November 2013

First IMATS Experience


This year my lovely friend (a fellow make-up lover) invited me to join her at this year's IMATS in Toronto. I've never been, but I've heard my American counterparts rave about this two-day event (and trust me, I've watched my fair share of beauty gurus showcasing their hauls on YouTube), so without any hesitation I immediately accepted her invitation and bought my ticket online!

For those who haven't heard of IMATS, let me break it down! IMATS stands for International Make-Up Artist Trade Show, and it's just that: a huge convention where make-up artists and die-hard beauty enthusiasts gather to check out the latest and greatest the industry has to offer. Retailers set up rows and rows of booths to promote their products. Anything that falls under the "beauty" spectrum can most certainly be found at one of these  booths: skincare products, hair tools, eyelashes, nail polish, body paint (?), make-up brushes, and of course, make-up (piles and piles of make-up!). 

One of the major perks of attending this two-day affair is the generously discounted pricing on all the products (I'm talking at least 40% off the MSRP). This is great for someone who's just starting to experiment with different make-up products and brands because you can do so without breaking the bank!

Asides from the obvious shopping experience, there's a whole educational aspect to the convention. Some of the world's best make-up artists come to speak about the industry and what the latest trends are, and most importantly, they conduct demos on how to apply the make-up! I mean, having a whole lot of make-up doesn't mean much unless you know how to apply it correctly, right? 

All in all, I had a wonderful time hanging out with my girlfriend for the day! I shopped (duh!), discovered new brands (mostly Canadian), met the beautiful Rae Morris, and sat in on some stellar seminars! Would I attend next year? In a heart beat! Is it worth the $50 admission ticket? Totally! If you budget and stick to your original shopping list, the amount of discount you receive pays for the cost!

Did you go to IMATS this year? If so, what was your favourite purchase?

P/S: A haul post to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment